Different types of Data Entry ?

Discuss data entry jobs, get information on freelance writing employers, medical transcription, virtual call center positions, home-shoring, freelance writing and more.

Different types of Data Entry ?

Postby dansbanners on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:17 pm

Avertisements

Hi,

There seem to be two different type of Data Entry. One is typing the whole letter or article. And the other is just entering or inputting the desired information onto fields or forms.

For instance, one would enter just numbers into empty fields or brackets or would just enter the person's name and address and nothing else onto forms and stuff. What is this form of Data Entry called ? No typing letters or articles, just entering or inputting numbers, addresses or desired info onto empty fields or brackets or forms ? What is this Data Entry called ?

I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance !
dansbanners

Advertisements

Re: Different types of Data Entry ?

Postby ladybug on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:12 am

workfromhome wrote:Hi,

There seem to be two different type of Data Entry. One is typing the whole letter or article. And the other is just entering or inputting the desired information onto fields or forms.

For instance, one would enter just numbers into empty fields or brackets or would just enter the person's name and address and nothing else onto forms and stuff. What is this form of Data Entry called ? No typing letters or articles, just entering or inputting numbers, addresses or desired info onto empty fields or brackets or forms ? What is this Data Entry called ?

It is called data entry plain and simple. Typing an article is typing plain and simple. There is no grey area here. You either do data entry or you do typing. There is only one kind of data entry and it is entering bits of information either all numerical, all letters, or a mix but if you are entering blocks or pages of text then you are typing.
ladybug

Postby dansbanners on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:37 am

ladybug wrote:
workfromhome wrote:Hi,

It is called data entry plain and simple. Typing an article is typing plain and simple. There is no grey area here. You either do data entry or you do typing. There is only one kind of data entry and it is entering bits of information either all numerical, all letters, or a mix but if you are entering blocks or pages of text then you are typing.

If that's the case then why is a resume needed just to enter bits of information ? I could see needing a resume for typing ? But is one also needed just for to enter bits of information ?
dansbanners

Postby ladybug on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:33 pm

It is a matter of speed and accuracy. No company is going to hire somebody who takes all day to enter 2 pages of information and then makes 14 mistakes. Any legitimate company is going to want a resume for their own information.
ladybug

Postby dansbanners on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:01 pm

ladybug wrote:It is a matter of speed and accuracy. No company is going to hire somebody who takes all day to enter 2 pages of information and then makes 14 mistakes. Any legitimate company is going to want a resume for their own information.

Ok, how can companies test my speed and accuracy ?

And are there separate lists or companies, that is one is a list of companies that are looking for to hire typists while the other is looking for just to hire those that would enter bits of information ?

Thanks again !
dansbanners

Postby ladybug on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:43 am

There are various software programs out there that companies can use such as this one:

http://3d2f.com/tags/kph/numeric/

There is even a free site for taking a typing test that allows you to mail your results directly to yourself or an employer and although you can say well, all I have to do is mail it to myself, doctor it up and then send it to them, the truth will come out in the end when you start to actually work for whatever company it is. You just can't cover up bad typing skills, not even with all the spellcheckers in the world.

But believe me, no serious data entry (or transcription) company is likely to hire somebody on their word that they can do it. They will no doubt test you somehow. As to the lists, that transcription list is one that I compiled when I was looking for work myself, that's all. There are no data entry companies on it because there are 3 or 4 popular companies that are already posted already over the internet on wah lists and may even be in the wah section of this forum. Some require specific experience such as Cyber but most of them have 1 - 2 year waiting lists.

The reason why I didn't include them in my list is because it is MY list and it's not what I was looking for.
ladybug

Postby charlienikki1 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:31 pm

Looking for work from home data entry!!!!!!!!!!!!!
charlienikki1

Postby ladybug on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:17 pm

You and a bizillion other people. You'll have to get in line. :lol:

Why do so many people want data entry work? Is it because you think it's easy? Or is it because you feel it doesn't require any special skills? Because if that's your reasoning, then you are all in for a very rude awakening.

Data entry requires a fair bit of skill along with speed, accuracy, and an eye for detail. Employers usually set quota for you to meet and you will be expected to meet those quotas. As well, many data entry positions require knowlege of special software such as Access and/or Excel and sometimes both or none.
ladybug

Return to Freelance Writing, Transcription & Virtual Office Jobs