Including Fee or Salary Requirements on Your Resume'

Discuss data entry jobs, get information on freelance writing employers, medical transcription, virtual call center positions, home-shoring, freelance writing and more.

Including Fee or Salary Requirements on Your Resume'

Postby wizard on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:10 pm

Avertisements

I'm in the process of putting a submission together to apply for a writing job and I'm a little confused. I've seen many job post ads that ask or require the applicant to specify fee or salary requirements in his or her CV/Resume'. I've spoken with a few people about this and several people have told me that it's like a test and the employer really doesn't want you to specify the salary you are expecting and it's actually off-putting. I don't know what to do. This is a freelance position I'm applying for and I'm very serious and interested in this position and it's a good match. I want to meet the requirements and apply accordingly, but I don't want to offend the potential employer. What is the best approach here? Please help. Thank You.
If it's organic, it's not perfume.
http://www.notperfume.com
wizard

Sponsored Advertisements

Re: Including Fee or Salary Requirements on Your Resume'

Postby IdaMan on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:47 pm

If the employer is asking for past or what you may want to see as a salary I would put that into a cover letter. I do not put any salarys my on my resume.

Most employers want you to put requirements in a cover letter.

Greg
IdaMan

Postby ladybug on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:30 am

I agree with Greg. It's the same as references. Put your salary requirement in your letter but not on the resume. And for references, unless you've already confirmed with them, I just put "will be supplied upon request" or something like that.
ladybug

Postby Matthew on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:33 am

If you're unsure of what to to put, putting something like "competitive with industry standards".
Salary requirements aren't something that should be discussed until you're actually in an interview.
Search for work at home jobs
**This account is personal. The views expressed on these pages are mine alone and not those of my employer.**
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby crunkyjens on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Matthew wrote:If you're unsure of what to to put, putting something like "competitive with industry standards".
Salary requirements aren't something that should be discussed until you're actually in an interview.

I agree 100%. You should never discuss your salary until you get in that interview room. I have never been asked my salary requirements on a resume before. I have been asked my previous salaries, but never what I expected. But if you had to put it I would agree with what someone else said, putting salary competitive with the position or something of the sort.

Good luck!
crunkyjens

Postby ladybug on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:57 am

I have never been asked my salary requirements on a resume before.

I have and it's very common for an ad to state "please reply with expected salary requirements" or something similar to that and it's not advised. I agree with putting something along the line of competitive with industry standards, etc. Putting it directly in your resume is either going to price yourself out of the job before you even get to the interview or if it's too low, the employer is going to wonder why you don't value yourself high enough. It's the old catch-22.
ladybug

Postby Annea on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:34 pm

Matthew wrote:If you're unsure of what to to put, putting something like "competitive with industry standards".

Be careful with this one. Industry standards are crappy right now, lots of folks are writing articles for a buck or two. If you're okay with that, fine.

I will mention my rates only if it is requested in the ad. If the employer pays less but wants to use me, I usually get an email letting me know what they're willing to pay. Then I have to decide whether or not I'm willing to do it.
Annea

Return to Freelance Writing, Transcription & Virtual Office Jobs