J. Lodge and call monitoring companies

Have a question about an opportunity you've discovered? This is the place to ask these questions and get honest feedback from our members!

J. Lodge and call monitoring companies

Postby QuesterLEJ on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:30 pm

Avertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a 25-year-old college grad with a severe physical impairment (cerebral palsy) looking for a legitimate, flexible, decent-paying home-based job, and I could use some guidance and direction.

A few months ago I finally decided to start looking for work taking my disability into account. I hadn't done that until then because my disability has no effect on my mental capacity; it only affects my stamina to some degree, not to mention my employment options in general--I cannot drive and therefore must work from home (at least for the foreseeable future).

In addition to a few freelance opportunities I've been involved with since I graduated from college two years ago, I've recently completed a seasonal commitment with Alpine Access, the well-known call outsourcing firm, taking calls for 1-800-FLOWERS. At first I thought I had found the perfect job, but a couple of weeks into it, I slowly realized it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Due to my disability, I just couldn't make my body move quickly enough to get up to Alpine's suggested standards, and I found it almost impossible to think, type, and speak all at once, while time was of the essence.

Before I was trained for the FLOWERS position, I had been in touch with a company called J. Lodge, a call analysis firm. I found their site through some disability page, because J. Lodge prefers to hire disabled employees. J. Lodge contacted me in late November, about 5-6 weeks after I had sent in my resume. The woman I spoke with about being an analyst immediately picked up on my technological expertise (I love computers), and the conversation quickly shifted to the idea of me being a technical support rep for a cable Internet provider J. Lodge apparently works with. At the time, it looked like something I would enjoy and excel at. About a week later, someone else called me and asked me lots of questions about my technological knowledge and expertise, saying that the man in charge of hiring reps would soon be in touch. He never called.

Working with Alpine Access, however, has helped me see that a position as a tech rep wouldn't have worked. Because of my disability, as I said, I can't speak, type, and think under pressure all at once.

That said, I think something like J. Lodge's call analysis would probably be ideal for me, since the calls are recorded and therefore analyzed after the fact. Something also tells me scheduling would be more flexible, perhaps quota-based, especially because J. Lodge prefers to hire disabled employees and would therefore most likely understand my limitations at least somewhat more than Alpine. Working as an agent has helped me see that I can't work any more than 3-4 hours at a time without needing to recharge a bit (an hour or two); with Alpine I would very frequently work 5 hours at once (one day I worked 6 hours), with only a 10-minute paid break thrown in there somewhere.

The bad thing about J. Lodge, as you may be able to see, is that they don't seem to be very good about keeping in touch with people. I recently submitted a new copy of my cover letter and resume and left a message with the human resources department, but still no contact.

Having said all that, has anyone dealt (whether positively or negatively) with J. Lodge? Does anybody know of similar companies providing home-based call monitoring and analysis services? I'm having my doubts about J. Lodge, no matter how good they look on paper and the Web.

Any other tips or job ideas most welcome.

Luke
QuesterLEJ

Sponsored Advertisements

Postby ladybug on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:35 pm

I'm not sure about monitoring services but there are certainly lots of customer service jobs working from home where you deal with incoming calls from customers for order taking and general service issues.
ladybug

re: J. Lodge and call monitoring companies

Postby QuesterLEJ on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:44 pm

Ladybug,

Thanks for the reply, but as I said, I've already tried that. It's not something I feel I can excel at given the difficulty I have with speaking, listening, typing, and thinking all at once when time is of the essence. I can multitask up to a point, but that's too much.

Luke
QuesterLEJ

Re: J. Lodge and call monitoring companies

Postby centurynative on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:26 pm

In regard to your request for feedback: I worked for Alpine Access approximately nine months, which is their idea of longevity. So many people apply that the company policy seems to find it more profitable to hire and train new agents rather than keep experienced agents on the phone lines. Six months is the time frame for increasing base pay. The work is extremely stressful, at least on the credit card services program where I worked. Change is something that I do enjoy, but receiving up to ten email messages daily telling agents to do a certain thing one way, then do it another….that is not fun. I was so excited at the prospect of working from home and the experience was beneficial.

J.Lodge is amazing! I have been with them for one year as a Call Analyst. They paid for my Net + training and welcomed me warmly. How much gushing should I do about this one of a kind company! It is family owned and operated, hires primarily disabled people from professional backgrounds, and provides as much flexibility as the individual requires. My shift is five days a week for four hours, but analysts can go in early and work as much as they want, as long as they do not exceed 40 hours weekly. If you need a break, take it and deduct the time from the daily total. We have metrics and standards to meet, but plenty of help if needed. Team Leaders and IT backup is only an IM or email away.

The two companies are as different as night and day, but AA gets the publicity. I found J.Lodge after an exhaustive Internet search for anything that could be worked from home. After submitting over 40 applications to other companies, I found this wonderful company that is carefully nurtured by an exceptional gentleman and astute businessman. Within a few days of submitting my resume, three family members contacted me, one of whom was the owner. He wanted to know what I enjoyed, not how I could benefit his company.

If you are ready to work, think less of your disabilities and more of the extraordinary challenges ahead. Increasing numbers of companies are discovering the benefits of having a similar program model. Each year going forward, more jobs will become available. Don’t give up!
centurynative

Postby steel on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:46 am

what is the salary range for J.Lodge? Are they competetive with other companies? I see that they are also hiring for bilingual (spanish) disabled. :shock:

thanks for the information.
steel

Postby Shyanne on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:39 am

We are using J Lodge in our state department of labor voc rehab offices to help our clients with disabilities be able to work at home. We have not been working with them long but I can assure you that J Lodge has been thoroughly checked out if the state government is using the company. You should see the background check they do on us when we are hired. It's on the up and up.

Shyanne :)
Shyanne

Postby the new kid in town on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:30 pm

They are dumping workers left and right there. They pay minimum wage on a quota basis. When I started making way more than that by getting to be efficient, following their guidelines and requirements, they dumped me. They also dumped almost half their executive staff and bunches more people on the same day, after a huge wave of layoffs and firings just a few months back.

They did this from their brand new multimillion dollar building, after losing several contracts. Beware.
the new kid in town

Postby thearm on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 pm

The following information is in regard to a technical position with JLodge. (Auditing calls). This is an account of what I went through working for them.

I never had ownership of my position. There is a huge gray
area in auditing customer service calls (in the technical side anyway)
and they are constantly changing and contradicting themselves on how
they want each attribute to be graded.

They made me feel like a child, the way they communicated with me.
Emails from superiors were very blunt for no reason as if you're a toddler that can't follow instructions. In training sessions, superiors patronizingly gave a round of applause to everyone if
they all got an attribute correct (each week everyone will audit the
same call and then they go over how everyone did on each attribute....
attributes are the things you grade the agent on - I won't go into
details, but you can guess if you've ever dealt with customer
service).

They changed the training session time constantly (each week they have a group call in for a training session). One week it will be
a certain day and time, the next it will be a different time, the next
it will be a different day,etc... and they didn’t tell me until the
last minute so... being disabled – I have more doctor's
appointments than most people and I had to cancel one when they
decided "when" they wanted me to do training.

Toward the end of the month, when they met their quota of audits
being done for their contract, they didn’t have any work. There were months that I made hardly anything. So, if you'd like a steady, consistent paycheck, don’t expect it from JLodge.

On the technical side, they expect you to learn a ton of technical
aspects of auditing the calls, many, many things you have to know...
yet they pay $8.00 an hour. Remember, they hire professionals with technical backgrounds.

100% of your first 240 hours of employment are actually paid for by
your Vocational Rehabilitation office. So up front, for every person they hire, Vocational Rehabilitation gives them around $2,000.00.

It was getting to the point where I was working 1 hour a day… yet they would do things like send me to training for a new auditing division (that didn’t really exist yet) and congratulate me for getting this new opportunity -- the dangling carrot syndrome. I found it a very odd company to work for.
thearm

Postby dansbanners on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:55 am

Is it just a coincidence that most that posted in this thread made just one post in the forum thus far?
dansbanners

Postby megaman on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:58 am

this is a horrible company to work for. What was once a great company to work for slowly turned sour as the money hungry president was more worried about getting rich than caring about his employees. He basically took a hands off approach the last year or so and let those under him run the company and as a result they lost nearly 75 % of their business. they have hired and fired so many management at the corporate office its scary. every other week it seemed there as a new person in charge. the owner is a very poor judge of character, at one point in time his son was the VP of the company and his son decided to leave cause he wasn't happy with how his father was running the company, and the owners brother was to with the company and he left for a similar reason. his daughter is currently the VP and she's not even qualified for her position the only reason she has it cause of her daddy. They do treat their employees like slaves, and they have had those who had high tech degree and bachelor s and some even master's detgrees working a minimum pay job taking advantage of the disabled. During training sessions if you scored soemthing wrong they will call you out on it and belittle you in front of the rest for employees. Most Vocational Rehab places no longer do business with them cause of their treatment towards the disabled and they are also currently under investigation for the Ticket to Work program as they were bascically hiring people since the govt was paying them to employ the disabled adn then hardly give them any work to do. the owner of teh company would also send out emails to everyone informing them that they are not allowed to tell anyone that they work for this company, a little strange and odd dont you think.
megaman

Postby Gospelsinger on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:02 pm

I was an employee of JLodge LLC for two and a half years before I was downsized due to a "lack of Work" available to the company. I was told that I was being let go due to no fault of my own but because their lawyers had devised a specific way to determine who was let go. A Veteran of two and a half years was let go while new hires were kept. The amount of work was not a constant level. The pay was cut by almost a third of the pay basic per call but we were promised that we could do extra calls to make up the difference. But then the next week (if that long) a daily production cap was inacted because of a "shortage of calls". This drastic cut brought almost half the amount of normal earnings i was accustomed to. No severence pay was given and we were told to consider this lay off as permament. And the other commentor that stated we were told not to say anything about JLodge practices is correct. IF you did not make enough production for the work load to match the minimum pay you were written up. But if you worked and the amount earned was within 10% of the goal you did not get the percentage difference.

JLodge is a joke and you should look other places for employement.
Gospelsinger

Postby MelodyRoach on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Have tried looking into SEO work or anything relating. It is completely based from home and you can even do small contract jobs on fiverr and other sites and its completely done online. I have notice a few individuals starting their own SEO businesses and doing better than any other start-up business especially in the current economic situation.
MelodyRoach

Postby IdaMan on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Hey Dan, I noticed the same thing. It is starting to look like the forum is being used to Promote / or bash this company.
IdaMan

Postby dansbanners on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:25 pm

IdaMan wrote:Hey Dan, I noticed the same thing. It is starting to look like the forum is being used to Promote / or bash this company.

It's one thing to get more active involvement from those posting in this thread, but it's another just to make one post in here and not do anything afterwards.
dansbanners

Postby Trent Brownrigg on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:46 pm

dansbanners wrote:
IdaMan wrote:Hey Dan, I noticed the same thing. It is starting to look like the forum is being used to Promote / or bash this company.

It's one thing to get more active involvement from those posting in this thread, but it's another just to make one post in here and not do anything afterwards.

Yeah that drives me crazy!
Trent Brownrigg

Return to Anyone Ever Heard of... ?