Looking for advise on starting an ecommerce business

Interested in buying low and selling high? Whether its selling on eBay,Amazon or anywhere else discuss reselling, dropshipping, and exchanging goods here.

Looking for advise on starting an ecommerce business

Postby geetar on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 pm

WhyDoWork Recommends:

Want to Dominate Google?

Fool proof SEO guide. Learn SEO and improve your rankings today...

Learn How Now

Hey all,

This is my first post on these forums, I've been scouring these forums for the better part of the day and felt it was time to post.

First, a little about me. I have been interested in web design and developement since a young age. I have a diploma in digital media design, and right out of school I found my first job in the IT industry. I started as a designer, doing work for a direct sales company. It was a small company, but I learned wealth of knowledge there I wouldn't trade for the world. We were also selling software online. I got to work on designing ecommerce style websites, as well as modifying and writing code. I became familiar with the business side of ecommerce sites. the platforms I am experienced with are magento and zencart.

When I was tasked to another site, I became an email marketing guru, and learned a ton about affiliate marketing, I even attended last years adTech in NYC. Also have experience with customer service, backend administration, SEO, and advertising.

So with this in mind, I want to try my hand at my own business. I have alot of knowledge in other industries, but ecommerce is still quite unknown to me.

I want to start a website selling headphones, and had a few questions.

- Given that I don't have a business background, theres a ton for me to learn. With the experience I have in related fields, do you think it will be quite the learning curve selling online that it would be without the experience?

- I'm a little confused with what would work best for me and how to find it. I've done tons of research on dropshipping sites like worldwidebrands and doba.com and heard they are all scams, but I want to sell all different types of headphones, including brand names. Should I be looking more into wholesaling?

- If I go the wholesale route, does this mean I need to ship inventory to my warehouse (or outsource) and fulfill orders? If so, do wholesalers sell a variety of brands/types, or would I need to ship each item individually to my warehouse? Kinda confused on this point.

- I live in Canada. The companies I worked with registered their business in the USA, and only accepted funds/shipped to the USA. What are the advantages of this? Are there just more online sales in the USA? Are there less options for wholesale in canada?

- I find that this site has loads of information for the UK, but not much for USA/Canada. Is there another site or location that would be good for information?

I appreciate all help any of you will give, it will be vital in the startup of my busines.

Thank you!
geetar

Sponsored Advertisements

WhyDoWork Recommends:

Want to Dominate Google?

Fool proof SEO guide. Learn SEO and improve your rankings today...

Learn How Now

Re: Looking for advise on starting an ecommerce business

Postby marcusvitruvii on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:28 am

1. You'd better be familar with the knowledge of headphones asap. No experience has no problem.
2. Of course you'd better look and learn more info wholesaling, which will reduce your risk of cheating.
3. You need not ship each item individually to your warehouse, you could choose dropshipping.
If you have more questions, pls contact us.
marcusvitruvii

Postby freedomman on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:34 am

There are certainly wholesale companies that ship products within USA and to Canada. You will have to google wholesale or dropshipper. I am pretty sure you will find tons of them. Good Luck!
Web hosting with a twist
Amnisiya
freedomman

Postby Importexportbusiness on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:25 pm

geetar wrote:Hey all,

This is my first post on these forums, I've been scouring these forums for the better part of the day and felt it was time to post.

First, a little about me. I have been interested in web design and developement since a young age. I have a diploma in digital media design, and right out of school I found my first job in the IT industry. I started as a designer, doing work for a direct sales company. It was a small company, but I learned wealth of knowledge there I wouldn't trade for the world. We were also selling software online. I got to work on designing ecommerce style websites, as well as modifying and writing code. I became familiar with the business side of ecommerce sites. the platforms I am experienced with are magento and zencart.

When I was tasked to another site, I became an email marketing guru, and learned a ton about affiliate marketing, I even attended last years adTech in NYC. Also have experience with customer service, backend administration, SEO, and advertising.

So with this in mind, I want to try my hand at my own business. I have alot of knowledge in other industries, but ecommerce is still quite unknown to me.

I want to start a website selling headphones, and had a few questions.

- Given that I don't have a business background, theres a ton for me to learn. With the experience I have in related fields, do you think it will be quite the learning curve selling online that it would be without the experience?

- I'm a little confused with what would work best for me and how to find it. I've done tons of research on dropshipping sites like worldwidebrands and doba.com and heard they are all scams, but I want to sell all different types of headphones, including brand names. Should I be looking more into wholesaling?

- If I go the wholesale route, does this mean I need to ship inventory to my warehouse (or outsource) and fulfill orders? If so, do wholesalers sell a variety of brands/types, or would I need to ship each item individually to my warehouse? Kinda confused on this point.

- I live in Canada. The companies I worked with registered their business in the USA, and only accepted funds/shipped to the USA. What are the advantages of this? Are there just more online sales in the USA? Are there less options for wholesale in canada?

- I find that this site has loads of information for the UK, but not much for USA/Canada. Is there another site or location that would be good for information?

I appreciate all help any of you will give, it will be vital in the startup of my busines.

Thank you!

The best place to start would be try becoming a wholesaler first (there isn't much to it to be honest) , drop shipping is good however your business is in the hands of other companies who may supply bad products or be scammers. However in saying that I can't discount the fact there are many legitimate and profitable dropship companies who will look after your business long term. It all comes down to research and trailing in the end.

True most companies like to deal with the USA however shipping to Canada has never been a problem for my clients. Why won't they deal with you?

Being a wholesaler yes you will need a warehouse however it's easier to just use a 3PL or 3rd party logistics company. They handle the orders and fulfillment for you.

I hope this helps!
Importexportbusiness

Postby bigarnie on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:25 am

If you really want to do this, I would start small and handle the orders yourself. You could then start to sell on amazon, and let them handle the fulfillment there if you want to.
Computer Science Jobs - http://www.computersciencejobss.com/
bigarnie

Postby p_wyt_12 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:26 am

You've got really great experiences out there regarding creating a site and marketing your product so I think what you'll really need is find a supplier and know your products well so you could offer them without hesitation. I agree with selling on Amazon first, just to have a glimpse or experience on how to sell on your own. Good luck with your business idea and hope it'll materialize really soon.
Having trouble with your mortgage? Know your Options for Foreclosure.
p_wyt_12

Return to Reselling & Dropshipping