National Telecommuting Institute?

Have a question about an opportunity you've discovered? This is the place to ask these questions and get honest feedback from our members!

Re: Anyone Ever Heard of the National Telecommuting Institute?

Postby Mrs. Sew & Sew on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:49 am

Avertisements

I have recently completed the hire process with NTI and am scheduled for training later this month. So far my relationship with them has been completely positive and professional. My training is scheduled for later this month, so I will hope that I continue to be pleased with their company. I've had a great deal of experience wih companies or organizations that work basically from grants. It's frequently been a dicey proposition, since funds dry up, etc. I've been disabled since 1999 and on SSDI since 2001...I don't expect anything to be a "sure thing" and will appreciate the extra income as long as it is available! I've enjoyed the posts on this subject!
Mrs. Sew & Sew

Sponsored Advertisements

Re: National Telecommuting Institute?

Postby Maelark on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Not only have I heard of them I have worked for them. First things first, I do not have a VR Counselor, and I am not disabled. So that should tell you something right there. They were well aware that I was not disabled. I told them from the very beginning. In fact I worked for them for 2 years. So everyone can come to their own conclusions about the company. It is to the point you can't trust any company any more.
Maelark

Postby kitty42 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Oh my God! I've been taken for a ride!
I am a disabled person, on SSDI, and taking part in the Ticket to Work program.
I recently (a few weeks ago) began checking out NTI, and found that it sounded like a really good lead for me. I thought the work sounded like it would be a really good opportunity for me, as well. So I applied online, and afterward, was directed to my email account, where I was sopposed to hav received an email from them, which would then prompt me to the online test. \

But there was no email from them! So, I called NTI on the phone. As someone else stated in this forum, the toll free number is automated, and does not allow you to talk with anyone. But I was determined to try for their customer service representative position, so I called their regular phone number (617 area code. I live in California, so this is long distance for me.) The guy I spoke with said that he'd send me another email me, so I checked again, but there was still no email! Third time is a charm, right? I called again, and made sure that he had my correct email address, and he said he'd send another email, but still I received nothing! I called him again, and he led me to a different website, and gave me directions to get into the testing site.

Well, when I logged onto the website, it was one belonging to a loan company, trying to get people to take out loans!@#$%

Then, I googled them, and found this forum...boy, I sure wish that I had done my homework first, and had read this forum before wasting all this time. But I was sure that since the company was on the ticket to work list, it must be a legitimate business!

All I am left with now is a huge phone bill, and I am low income!
kitty42

Postby Ruben on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:51 pm

ow last day of training december 5,2008 second day of live test calls (with employees as customers). The session was about to start and I got a power outage and I told the trainer and she told me as soon as I got the power back to log on the system. I didnt get power till like 4pm that day, same time as the training ended. Here in PR, they dont fix power outages in a jiffy - sometimes it takes them hours or maybe a couple of days depending on the intensity of the problem.
Ruben

Postby thinker on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:10 pm

The idea is to get the benefit of people handing over their "ticket to work" document, so NTI can get what funds are available, from whatever source may have them. In reality they have multiple websites, multiple "recruiters", people posing as "management", using other linked organizations to put on phony training classes, which of course they get paid for.

No listing on Chamber of Commerce, lots of listing material on WHOIS registries, the office is in a building shared with companies having problems with parasites, bedbugs. If you are in Boston, or know someone who is, have them go down and visit the office. There's a reason no secretary answers the phone. Remembering that this is all tied into a teleconferencing phone system, they can be anywhere. Look up their employer information. How many employees are there? Where is the tax information filed? Where are the public documents for this non-profit supposedly serving the public?

What if the Social Security Administration found out that what they are selling is not worth buying... Should they remain on the list of vendors, allowed to do business with the Federal government, and various state governments?

Do your research.
thinker

Postby jurisprudence on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 pm

I know someone who used to work for NTI. Basically, this person said that it's a job you should get only if you are disabled and can't get any other work. He used to work as an order entry clerk for the IRS through NTI. NTI hires about 200-300 agents every tax filing season to fill form orders for the IRS and then lays off all but about 75 agents at the end of the filing season in April/May. These 75 agents stay with the company year-round and are picked for their competence and ability. However, every year at the end of the tax filing season, they compete once again in order to remain employed year-round.

He was a close friend and used to complain about the working conditions all of the time. He told me that the minute an employee is caught making a mistake and his call review score is below a certain percentage - something like 93%, which is still a pretty high score - he or she is placed on probation. Even if the employee has a rate of steady 100% call review scores, he or she is placed on probation if the score falls below 93% just one time and they catch it. You have to be perfect to work for NTI, as they don't allow people to be human.

He also said that some of the Team Leads or managers were unkind. Also, he would run into problems with the phone company because of the many hours of long distance use. The phone company suspected that the phone was being used for business and not personal calls, and would terminate service. Paying for business long distance service can be very expensive. The way he dealt with this problem was by switching long distance phone companies as soon as he ran into trouble, but it would happen again and again. NTI did reimburse up to $80 in phone and internet costs each month.
jurisprudence

Postby ihmw2001 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:19 pm

My VR counselor found this "company" and sent it to me. What a joke!!!!
1st of all, they want to pay only $9/hr for DSL tech support positions when they have NO overhead. Tech support folks who work in a call center get paid more than $9/hr, and the company has to supply many computers, phones, headsets, chairs, desks, huge electric bill, RENT, phone bill, internet bill, printers, security, water bill, ETC ETC. So, NTI tries to recruit disable folks to work for these companies. Hmmm, I just wonder how much of a cut NTI (or whatever their name is) is getting out of this.

So let's get this straight...you get less than 20 hrs per week. You DO NOT get paid for 2 weeks of training. YOU have to supply a high-tech computer, expensive anti-virus software, headsets, landline phone service w/ unlimited long distance, extra electricty use, high-speed internet service of atleast 3gb, and who knows what else.

This NTI place will give you the run-around. They arent dependable nor consistent. They 1st stated that the 2 wks of training would be paid. After you sign up, you get an email stating it is UNPAID. Then they want you to get landline phone BEFORE even being hired...for training. They told me that training would start in Feb...then March....now they are saying it's on hold until July!! Forget it...I don't want to deal with a place that takes advantage of disabled people. Oh yeah.....these companies save THOUSANDS in overhead costs plus they get a tax credit for hiring disabled. This disgusts me!!
ihmw2001

Postby naysayyes on Thu May 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Started the testing in March 2010. At first they swamp you with e-mails and then nothing.

Took all the test and spent over $250 on equipment to prepare for the testing. After each test they immediately sent you the info if you passed. Twice the trainer told us we could have a question and answer session. A couple of people asked how long and what were the chances of getting a job quickly.

Naturally, the question and answer sessions never happened. The trainer said it was a computer glitch.

After a couple of e-mails asking for the score (my final was 100%)- I was told I didn't pass the last test.

However, I saved all the e-mails and my niece, who happens to be a trainer and travels over the country said my answers were great. So, you go figure.

I am currently speaking with my rehab counselor about going other routes.

By the way- I am the one who recommended NTI to them.

Now I am waiting on the state to reimburse me for the outlay of expenses and like many of you could not afford to spend what I did.

I understand they use the IRS and it looks like there would be a huge amount of hiring going on now.

The Goalie
The Goalie
naysayyes

Postby glsmas on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Any company that pays $9 an hour for a cable broadband technician, while at the same time provide no monthly reimbursement for expenses, i.e., broadband connection and land phone line, is a scam.

Maybe NTI has been "recommended" by some news reports, but the company is still taking advantage of the disabled on Social Security. It's just that they do it legally via the "Ticket To Work" government program. Not only do they get the money the government gives them from hiring you, they are perfectly aware of the monthly income limits for the disabled, which spells "payout limit" for them.

The very LEAST they could do is provide the monthly connection charges I stated above. They're already getting the employee's apartment or house for office space, their computer and software, and electricity FOR FREE.

The only thing I've seen on their website is they provide things like cables and headsets---

BIG DEAL.

PS-- I wonder why they don't have a feedback forum on their website? Gee, I wonder...
glsmas

Postby ladybug on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Ehhhh!! Wrong. Most work at home jobs now are independent consultants. YOU are required to cover your own expenses just the same as the plumber or electrician or whatever who fixes your house. What if they expected you to supply their tools for them? It's the same thing.

Everything you need for your business is an expense and is tax deductible -- (a portion of) your computer, your heat, your electricity, your phone, taxes, your house insurance, computer provider fees -- everything connected to your work and they are fees that you would be paying anyways just to live in your house/apartment.
ladybug

Postby glsmas on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:56 pm

You are missing the point of my post. (Try reading it again, for comprehension this time, instead of lashing out because you disagree.)

Those electricians, plumbers, and other workers you cite are not on Social Security disability benefits, living on a low, fixed income because they have to for a medical reason.

If you can't understand the difference between the two, sorry.
glsmas

Postby ladybug on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:35 pm

I understand perfectly but I also know people on disability who can't afford a lot of things but still manage to take trips to Florida or wherever or eat out two or times a week. Sometimes it's a matter of getting your priorities straight. I've seen people I know are on disability drinking Starbucks coffee and smoking. They can afford that...

If it's a government program then there are obviously subsidies somewhere aren't there or is it just that the government pays a portion of their salary?

My point is, all these "expenses" you're talking about are things that these people would be paying for anyway AND they can deduct them off of their income tax at the end of the year.

And how come every time somebody disagrees all of a sudden they're "lashing out"?
ladybug

Postby ladybug on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 am

I was sitting last night and contemplating life and I thought about this thread and remembered something about a friend of mine. Her sister was born with cerebral palsy -- been on disabillity all her life. Did she let it get her down? No! Did she sit around and cry about how her life sucked? NO!! Remember the old saying when life hands you lemons make lemonade?

This woman had her little apartment and her cat -- that's it. No cell phone, no iPhone, no big screen TV, no car. She walked everywhere she could and if she couldn't, then she took a bus. Sometimes she splurged and took her cat -- cost her a buck but hey, it was a treat. She brown-bagged it -- ALWAYS.

She had her little apartment. I forget how much she paid for it but it was subsidized of course because of her disability insurance. When she was done paying all her bills each month she had a couple of hundred dollars (maybe) left over.

Eventually, in 2001, she had saved enough putting away what little she had left over at the end of each month TO BUY HERSELF A CONDO.. It wasn't a fancy one, just a small one-bedroom in a not-so-great part of town but a little one-bedroom walkup in a four-plex. But it was hers!!! I think it cost her $45,000 or something like that. Real estate was still fairly cheap in Calgary then.

So you know what? You can sit around and cry about how your life sucks or you can do like this woman and do something about it.

Now, let's go to the other side. Before my parents moved in with me they were living in a senior manor. Half of it was subsizided by the government but according to the government they made too much to be subsidized so they had to pay the full $600 a month (plus cable + phone + electricity + parking).

The other people paid $250 a month (for the same size in the same building apartment). They had cars, and cable. They had big screen TVs too. Some of them took trips to England. They took trips to Hawaii and Mexico. My parents have never been to England, or Hawaii or Mexico. They've been too busy paying that extra rent so the others could be subsidized and go. One guy got all the veterans benefits too even though my dad was told that he made too much -- a VETERAN!!

Andy had a fancy scooter for running around on. Didn't need one, there was nothing wrong with him. And I know you're going to say well, how did you know there was nothing wrong with him? This a senior apartment -- everybody knows everything because everybody WANTS you to know. Anyway, he had this fancy scooter that was worth at least $4,000. My dad couldn't even get hearing aids that he needed as a direct cause of his WWII duties as an ASDIC operator.

So if I sounded a little bitter in my earlier posts, maybe you can understand. Call it lashing out. Call it whatever you want, but I call it looking at reality.
ladybug

Postby glsmas on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm not on disability, I'm an advocate for the disabled.

Your need to opine on the "system" and how it affects different people is duly noted, but is not correctly rebutting my post.

I'm fully aware there exists certain people on disability who have "more" than others and can afford their trips, or whatever, more readily. This depends a lot on the wealth of their family and friends in that they are "acquainted" with other people with money that can help them out occasionally. But, most SS recipients aren't as fortunate.

All I was saying in my original post was, because there are many -- if not most -- people on SS disability who live on the edge, barely able to make month to month ends meet, if they work for a particular company, that company can afford to help pay for their monthly broadband and telephone connections.

$9 an hour for someone on SS disability -- in addition to the worker having to provide monthly Internet access in order to perform their duties -- is ludicrous. If it isn't, why does SS pay their disabled workers not only more money depending on their county of residence, but also up to $80 a month reimbursement for Internet and phone connections?

NTI -- and the companies that choose to recruit stay-at-home disabled workers through their services -- should help subsidize the monthly costs of the connections required for the work.

If businesses don't furnish these services they are placing the burden of some of their operating overhead onto the disabled worker, therefore taking advantage of, and abusing, the disabled worker.

A nice, tidy way for businesses to increase profits.
glsmas

Postby ladybug on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Sorry, but I disagree - still. It is not up to the company hiring the individuals to subsidize them -- it's up to the government.

A company is running a business. If they want that business to involve a select group of people, then in my opinion that's where they need to apply to the government for some sort of assistance or support. I don't think the company should be obligated to do it.

And I don't doubt there are lots of companies around that are exploiting disabled people and others but that's where the government needs to step up to bat and provide funding to encourage more companies to hire them.

One of our local grocery stores hires mentally challenged people as general "gophers" and there is a community agency in town that places them. I'm not sure if they help by subsidizing their wages as well, but they're always looking for donations for something.
ladybug

Return to Anyone Ever Heard of... ?