Do I need to apply for a business license?

A home business offers a completely different set of challenges than a traditional one. Get tax tips, share advice, and discuss home business strategy here.

Do I need to apply for a business license?

Postby paul12 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 pm

Avertisements

Hello Friends.....

I am currently considered a subcontractor. The service I provide is cleaning. I receive a 1099 each year and I do not have a business license. I do not wish to perform services for anyone else. Do I need to apply for a business license? Is there an advantage for applying for one?

Thanks
paul12

Sponsored Advertisements

Re: Do I need to apply for a business license?

Postby ladybug on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:32 am

I think it will depend largely on where you live and your own government regulations. I'd check my government web page. Myself, I subcontract. I'm considered a sole proprietor and as long as I don't work for 3 or more people or companies I'm okay. If I were to work for 3 or more people then I would have to register as a business. As far as benefits to a business over sole proprietorship, I'm not really sure except you don't have to have your income tax done until the summer.
ladybug

Postby joanpeterson on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:23 am

I agree with Ladybug - it will depend upon the regulations of where you live. Some places require a biz license for any biz, regardless of circumstances.

I would suspect that a cleaning biz would require a biz license as you are performing work for others outside your home. But again - as ladybug mentioned before - check with your local government. If you are required to have a biz license, it is best to just get one. Otherwise,you could face a shutdown or fine for not having one.

You will be able to use the license fee for tax purposes, so ensure you keep a record of any license fees paid to operate your biz.
joanpeterson

Postby denissharper on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:06 am

Technically, yes, you should be licensed, even though a lot of people who do not work from home. The worst case is someone you reports on the implementation of the Code, the person comes and asks Are you the business, you say yes, and say that you must obtain a license or do not give you an indication, where you have x amount of time and get an inside That was my friend.
denissharper

Postby Manolo on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:40 pm

For any entrepreneur looking to begin their own business they are required to register for a business license. You can pick up a business registration form from your local county occupational tax office. This can be found over the Internet or your local phone book. You will fill out the form, return it and pay a small annual fee from ten to fifteen dollars. This may be a larger fee depending on the city and state of registration.
stock update
Manolo

Postby ladybug on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:13 pm

Manolo wrote:For any entrepreneur looking to begin their own business they are required to register for a business license. You can pick up a business registration form from your local county occupational tax office. This can be found over the Internet or your local phone book. You will fill out the form, return it and pay a small annual fee from ten to fifteen dollars. This may be a larger fee depending on the city and state of registration.
stock update

You are not required to apply for a business license. It depends on how your business is structured. I've never had a business licence and I don't need one. I am a sole proprietor.
ladybug

Postby vanmed on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 pm

The exact answer does depend on your exact location. Some states and municipalities have requirements for licensing depending on exactly what you do and your expected income. Others do not require subcontracted entities to license and need only file income taxes using their SSN and their 1099 information. Check your city and state regulations.
vanmed

Postby ladybug on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:51 pm

vanmed wrote:The exact answer does depend on your exact location. Some states and municipalities have requirements for licensing depending on exactly what you do and your expected income. Others do not require subcontracted entities to license and need only file income taxes using their SSN and their 1099 information. Check your city and state regulations.

It also depends on exactly what your business is and how big it is. I mean if you want to design clothing or something and sell it somewhere then yes, I imagine you would need a business licence. For most people working from home, I highly doubt it. As this person says, check your city/state/province/country regulations.

There was a case of some young kids selling lemonade at a dog park, not a problem. They made a few bucks. Then their mothers got involved and had them selling baked goods and tea/coffee/pop, etc. with a menu and price list -- boom the city nailed them for operating without a licence.
ladybug

Postby isbelasmth on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:34 am

The most important thing here would be the rules and the regulations tat applies in that particular area. In many places if you are a sole proprietor and do have a small scale business you need not apply for a license but at some places if you are in a business you should be having one.
isbelasmth

Postby taxattorney25 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:07 am

That depends on where you live. If you want to sell, personal property, you are required to obtain a Seller's Permit.
taxattorney25

Postby pcrepairshop on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:53 pm

I agree with most of the previous posts, it depends on where you live and what the laws and regulations are. I always recommend that business owners obtain a Business License. Here is a great site that will answer many questions you may have about needing a Business License: legalzoom.com/business-management/starting-your-business/why-you-need-business

To obtain a Package of business licenses, seller's permits, or any other licenses you may need, here is a great site: businesslicenses.com/research-request-form.php

Else, you will need to contact your local tax collector or tax collection office for license requirements and annual dues. I hope this helps.
The PC Repair Shop
The Lowest Prices on Laptop and Desktop Computers, Hardware and Software, Games, Accessories and more at PCRepairShop.org!
pcrepairshop

Return to Business Discussion, Tax, and Legal Help