Net Transcripts

Have a question about an opportunity you've discovered? This is the place to ask these questions and get honest feedback from our members!

Net Transcripts

Postby Mika on Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:47 pm

Avertisements

Has anyone heard of http://www.nettranscripts.com ?

I remember getting a reply from them asking me to work, but they required me to pay a fee...

"

• Contractors must pay for proprietary tools and training*
- Independent Contractor Specifications $25.00
- Practice Proof and Edit of Two Sample Audio Files $30.00

We are often asked by potential contractors why they must pay for software, specifications and training. This is a great question as there are many opportunities available that do not require any investment on your part or the company you are performing work for reimburses for expenses.

In the earlier years of our operation, we had the benefit of being audited by the IRS. The auditor reviewed our business model and the relationships we had with our contractors. The auditor determined that we must charge for specifications and training in order to consider an individual a contractor. Therefore, we have stuck to this since our inception in 1988. "

Just want to know what you guys think about it.
Mika

Sponsored Advertisements

Postby ladybug on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:40 am

I've heard they charge fees and I'm not sure why but they are legit.

I don't understand the $25 charge for contractor specifications. What the hell is that?

And $30 for practice and testing is absurd.

You can find people at http://www.wahm.com who work for them or have worked for them.
ladybug

re: Net Transcripts

Postby Mika on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:40 pm

Thanks Ladybug.

I'll check up on it; however, I'm not sure I still want to pay those fees just to work with them. x_x;
Mika

Postby ladybug on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:46 pm

Exactly. There are many, many companies out there right now that are hiring that don't require any fees. I'm testing right now for Ubiqus.

If you have a typing speed of 60+ wpm, with excellent writing and audio typing skills, broadband internet, and good daily availability, we have work to send your way.

Our freelance typists and transcriptionists produce verbatim transcripts of court proceedings, legal interviews, and meetings for a wide range of clients. The work is interesting and varied.

Background in the legal sector – perhaps as a court reporter, law student, or legal secretary – is an advantage but is not required. Experience as a transcriber or audio typist is also an advantage. You need to have your own PC with a broadband internet connection.

You have the opportunity to work from home with flexible scheduling while you earn a competitive, freelance rate. You download audio files from our server and return the finished documents to us. All the work is on a self-employed, freelance basis.

We are looking for typists who are available at least three days or 20 hours a week, and preferably more. It's an advantage if you are equally happy to work evenings and/or weekends and/or daytimes, as our work sometimes requires quick turnaround!

Freelancing for Ubiqus is not generally compatible with a full-time job, but our freelance transcriber base includes parents of young children, university and postgraduate students, and former PAs and secretaries.

Ubiqus is an international communications company. Our main business is writing and transcription. With offices in New York, San Francisco, Ireland, London, and Paris, we offer interesting and flexible work for skilled writers and typists.

If this role sounds like a good match for you, please apply online at http://www.ubiqus.ie and then click 'Working for Ubiqus Ireland - Current Vacancies.'
ladybug

Re: Net Transcripts

Postby workathomebee on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:48 am

They are legitimate. I am presently working for them. I was hesitant at first, as well. My gutt said to "go for it." Why would any company pose as a "law enforcement" transcription company and be "fraudulent"? That would be insane. I did know that any type of law enforcement transcription work requires a background check and fingerprinting of the independent contractor, and as an independent contractor, a business, you should be required to pay your own fee for fingerprinting and background checking. I work for a few companies. Some companies were "nice" and reimbursed me and some companies did not. It is a business expense, so what the heck. To pay the initial fee Net Transcripts requests is minimal costs compared to the cost that you would have to pay in any case of getting a fingerprited/background checked through the DOJ. They have a lot of work, very structured, audios thus far are audible to the extent they can be when being digitally recorded, and they have a convenient pay structure.
workathomebee

Postby workathomebee on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:55 am

Ladybug ... some people have no clue when it comes to transcription work. I do not blame Net Transcripts for covering the costs of their "confidential" materials, including their style, format, methods, etc. It's competitive out there. And, they do a background check as well, which cost money, in that all you have to do is get fingerprinted. I do transcription work and have had to pay for my own BG check and it's not cheap. Hoever, this is MY BUSINESS that I run so it's simply a tax deduction. Net Transcripts's "weeding" out people who "think" they can transcribe is smart, as well transcriptionists know, verbatim transcription is not easy. I work for one company in particular, and after I was hired, HR told me, "People that have applied don't have a clue." They had to weed through over 200 applicants and only hired two. It's a gift to be able to hear, punctuate, correct grammar, type verbatim, and have a large vocabular enough to SPELL various fields, and know how to diligently search the Internet -- going that extra mile! Not trying to be mean, just "I understand" them. Good company to work for.
workathomebee

Postby ladybug on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:39 am

workathomebee wrote:Ladybug ... some people have no clue when it comes to transcription work. [u] I do not blame Net Transcripts for covering the costs of their "confidential" materials, including their style, format, methods, etc. It's competitive out there.[/u} And, they do a background check as well, which cost money, in that all you have to do is get fingerprinted. I do transcription work and have had to pay for my own BG check and it's not cheap. However, this is MY BUSINESS that I run so it's simply a tax deduction. Net Transcripts's "weeding" out people who "think" they can transcribe is smart, as well transcriptionists know, verbatim transcription is not easy. I work for one company in particular, and after I was hired, HR told me, "People that have applied don't have a clue." They had to weed through over 200 applicants and only hired two. It's a gift to be able to hear, punctuate, correct grammar, type verbatim, and have a large vocabular enough to SPELL various fields, and know how to diligently search the Internet -- going that extra mile! Not trying to be mean, just "I understand" them. Good company to work for.

Competition has nothing to do with charging you for the cost of their formatting methods. I don't undderstand your reasoning on that. They create a manual and e-mail it to you. Big deal. It's not like they do a brand new one for every typist. I work for three legal companies -- two are government and I've never been charged for anything except a $30 background check which did not include fingerprinting at all. I simply presented my driver's licence with my address and date of birth and they ran it through their computer.

I do, however, agree with the rest of what you've said. Most people out there don't have a clue what is involved in transcription work, especially verbatim, as every company has their own level of verbatim formatting and overall format in general. They think they can simply sit in front of their computer and listen to perfectly clear audio and then type it however they feel. And I'll say it again: IT'S NOT THAT EASY!!!
ladybug

Postby pfreeman on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:08 am

I am in the process of completing an audio transcript for Net Transcripts. You're asked to create a title block on the NT Web site under notes. I see no such thing on the web site. Can someone who has done this before give me an idea of what I need to do? I would very much appreciate it.
pfreeman

Postby galensaysyes on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:20 pm

I did police transcribing for Net Transcripts--if it's the one in Tempe, AZ--on a steady basis from 2008 until a few weeks ago, and as far as I remember wasn't charged anything at the start. If I had been, I can't believe I would ever have paid it, since a "training fee" and the explanation given for it would both have sounded to me (as they sound now) like total bull****, especially with no guarantee that I'd ever get the expenditure back in work. Also, I'm sure I would have reported the situation to tjobs.com (where the ad had run) to get their take on it; they always gave helpful advice on that kind of stuff. NT has revised some of its employment practices occasionally, and the hiring charge might have been one of those. In any case, it is a legitimate company, and has been around a while.
galensaysyes

Postby BuyGiftsItems on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:31 am

I'm sure I would have reported the situation to tjobs.com (where the ad had run) to get their take on it; they always gave helpful advice on that kind of stuff. NT has revised some of its employment practices occasionally
BuyGiftsItems

Return to Anyone Ever Heard of... ?