Newbie here!! Want to do straight typing

A positive attitude is the first step towards work at home success. Discuss your journey towards success and any bumps along the way here!

Newbie here!! Want to do straight typing

Postby Marielsol on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Avertisements

Does anyone know if one can get a legitimate job online just typing - (say, like word processing, documents, essays, or just typing manuscripts for authors)? I've applied to some sites that say 'typing job' just to find out that it isn't typing at all. What you do is fill out these little captions and then use clicbank or some other bogus site to accumulate points or some other nonsense like that. Besides, you have to pay for the program and you don't make any money. Believe me -- I've tried them all. I just need a legitimate company that hires people at home, where you get a paycheck weekly or so, and you don't have to pay to work.... they pay you to work. Any ideas anyone??? Thanks
Marielsol

Sponsored Advertisements

Re: Newbie here!! Want to do straight typing

Postby ladybug on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:06 pm

About the only way you will find that type of work is by freelancing and it's very competitive. I doubt you will find any work typing for authors because of the nature of the work. From my experience they usually want somebody with experience in whatever field they're writing, and may even want some kind of degree in English.

Essays and other stuff are possible. There is a list of companies that hire transcriptionists in the Writing/Transcription thread as well as I believe in the Work At Home Jobs section of this forum.

Are you looking for transcription work or just typing from handwritten text?
ladybug

Postby Paul D'Arcy on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:27 pm

I have a close friend that has contracted work (writing) for Mercedes Benz and Ford Motor -but it was really difficult for her to break into at the start.

She had a journalism degree and had written for the local newspaper for over 15 years. That probably helped.

The good news is, she is making more in a week, than she used to make a month working for the local paper.

She told me once....
"Writers write. If you want to make a career of writing .....Write -and don't stop writing until you write what you want for who you choose."

She is living proof that you can achieve anything you set your mind to.

I sincerely wish you the best,

~Paul
Paul D'Arcy

Postby ladybug on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Yup, it can be very hard to break into anything like that. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Sometimes, however, it's just a matter of perseverence because every company is different. I found a website for a company in Toronto doing exactly what I'm doing now for a company in Calgary. The company in Toronto wanted eight years of court reporting experience. All I know is how to type. Right place, right time.
ladybug

Postby Marielsol on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:43 pm

ladybug wrote:Are you looking for transcription work or just typing from handwritten text?

I would like to type from handwritten text. I've done trnscription (for years) in every job I had and really don't care much for it.

ladybug wrote: I doubt you will find any work typing for authors because of the nature of the work. From my experience they usually want somebody with experience in whatever field they're writing, and may even want some kind of degree in English.

I have typed for an author before, but since he was the only one I worked for and I eventually moved, I haven't been able to find another opportunity like that. I don't want to edit or collaborate on the manuscript, just type from their written notes. I can proofread and correct typos since I've done that before.

Paul D'Arcy wrote:I have a close friend that has contracted work (writing) for Mercedes Benz and Ford Motor -but it was really difficult for her to break into at the start.
She had a journalism degree and had written for the local newspaper for over 15 years. That probably helped.

Paul, I'm not sure, but this sounds like a copywriting career. I don't enjoy that type of writing. I dab in poetry and short stories (just my hobby).
Marielsol

Postby ladybug on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Editing manuscripts is a whole different animal from just proofreading and fixing errors. Professional people pay big bucks for people with special training to do that, especially if it's going to be published. Even college students can be fussy. I had a request from a grad student to do some work for her and I finally sent it back to her and told her to do it herself. There was no way in hell I was ever going to make her happy.

As far as doing it from handwritten stuff -- never seen it, not on the internet. It's way too easy for somebody to just sit in front of a computer and talk into a microphone. I guess that's not to say it isn't out there, but if somebody has the knowledge to scan a document and send it to somebody then chances are they have the knowledge to type it themselves.
ladybug

Postby Marielsol on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:01 pm

ladybug wrote:As far as doing it from handwritten stuff -- never seen it, not on the internet. It's way too easy for somebody to just sit in front of a computer and talk into a microphone. I guess that's not to say it isn't out there, but if somebody has the knowledge to scan a document and send it to somebody then chances are they have the knowledge to type it themselves.
Yep, you're right. I have decided to pursue another avenue which should prove more profitable. Will let you know how that's going. But, so sad that you have all these scams out there disguised as 'typing' at-home jobs. I fell for a few of those, but I was lucky enough to recoup my money everytime. Thanks for your input. :D
Marielsol

Postby ladybug on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:26 pm

At least it sounds like you have a good solid idea of what you want and how to get it. Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
ladybug

Postby workathomemomcenter on Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Hmm, your request is a little difficult simply because most people use a keyboard to write and very few need someone to type from handwritten text. Of course, a lot of writers still use paper and pen, but this is for preference and most still know their way around a keyboard well enough to type their own manuscripts. If you'd said that you wanted straight transcription work, I could recommend several companies who hire transcriptionists to work from home, but your case is a little more difficult.

I know that you said you found an opportunity already, but if you're still entertaining this work from home job option, your best bet is to advertise your services on CraigsList (or a similar classified ad site) and regularly check the jobs section for freelance writers. My guess is that, if anyone is looking for a typist to type from handwritten notes, it would be a writer (most other professionals, such as doctors and attorneys, dictate their notes for transcription).

Also, you mentioned that you're tired of transcription work, but have you considered transcription editing? It's an emerging field now that transcription jobs are being phased out by speech recognition technology. Just a thought in case you're interested. ;)
workathomemomcenter

Return to Work at Home Advice, Tips and Support