Ten tips to make the most of work from home

A positive attitude is the first step towards work at home success. Discuss your journey towards success and any bumps along the way here!

Ten tips to make the most of work from home

Postby mikidookie on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:21 am

Avertisements

Imagine waking up an hour late every morning and logging in to work in your pyjamas with a steaming mug of coffee. Imagine working without having to leave home. In fact, to avoid the dreaded commute, many employees prefer a 20% lower salary for a job next to home. Justifiably so, since nearly 10 hours of commute a week, equivalent to a full working day, is the norm in metros. Is it possible to harbour this Work from Home dream without harming your career? Here is how to make it work for you.

1) Talk to your boss
Check if your company has an official policy to work from home and the permissions that are required. Next, discuss the option with your manager. Most supervisers are hesitant to approve activities that might impact the output or deadline. Negotiate clear, achievable targets and timelines to address his concerns. If you keep delivering on outcomes from home, his confidence will increase. Make sure you keep him in the loop if you are unavailable for a couple of hours because you have stepped out for a parent teacher meeting at your child's school.

2) Designate work space
Keep aside a work area free of personal stuff. A desk, chair, computer, adequate lighting and clear, uncluttered space build the right environment for you to work efficiently. Organise your immediate visual area so that you are not staring out of an open window or worrying about the mess on the floor. Ideally, work in a room with a closed door so that the home environment does not creep in and diminish your productivity.

3) Hour blocks of time
Establish a clear routine for your work day. Most people find it useful to create 4-hour blocks of time to help achieve targets. It is easy to imagine juggling home tasks or kids while you work. But multitasking works well only with activities that require low mental bandwidth. For high bandwidth tasks like writing a report, multitasking will stall your creative flow and increase the time required to finish work.

4) Cut out interruptions
A benefit of working from home is that you eliminate office interruptions like a gossipy colleague. However, a home can be more distracting. Establish clear boundaries for family, kids, friends and maid in terms of time and space, so that you are not disturbed in the midst of important calls or challenging tasks. To remain focused, switch off Facebook, WhatsApp, cell phone and television. Use the office laptop/software to maximise productivity.

5) Master technology
Invest in adequate infrastructure before you start. Set up a working Wi-Fi Internet connection with a back-up Net dongle, a smart phone with e-mail and communication apps, computer with the required software, even a signal booster for your cell phone if call connectivity is poor at home. Master the use of software, which may include Excel, Word, Skype or proprietary project software from workplace. These investments will reduce your downtime and boost output.

6) Start with a checklist
An office environment provides reminders by way of team members or supervisers pushing on urgent tasks. Without these, it is easy to get waylaid and miss out on primary goals. Spend 15 minutes at the start of each day to make a checklist of tasks, goals and deadlines. As you progress, strike out each task. This will keep you on track and give you morale-boosting feedback on the progress you are making.

7) Put on work clothes
Unfortunately, the pyjama-clad dream does not work efficiently for most people. Wear regular work clothes when you sit down at your work area. When you feel professional, you act professionally. The results show immediately in work as well as in your voice when you speak to your team members. A lot more work gets done during the day with this simple change.

8) Avoid loneliness
Human interaction keeps us sane and contributes to our self-esteem. Long stints of work from home without social interaction is the quickest route to professional and personal deterioration. Put a plan in place to visit office and meet colleagues or clients at least once a week. If this is not possible, have an active social life in non-work hours so that you do not turn into a recluse. On a long-term basis, it can keep you away from positions of responsibility that involve dealing with large teams.

9) Combat guilt
Though work from home is mostly challenging from an efficiency perspective, in some cases it leads to guilt at not fulfilling one's responsibilities. This could push you to overwork. To avoid guilt, create a work schedule and shut down your computer at the end of the day. Take a break like stepping out of the house to mentally switch to home mode. In off hours, deal with office crises as you would on a regular day.

10) Review every month
This is the most important step. Ask yourself if your aim has been achieved. Have you reduced unproductive commute time or were you available for a sick family member? Is it impacting your career negatively like not being considered for promotion? Assess the results regularly and act accordingly.
Free Ebook: Work From Home with Paid Survey

http://www.fxtradeinfo.com/2.html
http://myathom.blogspot.com/
mikidookie

Sponsored Advertisements

Re: Ten tips to make the most of work from home

Postby StartBusinessMentor on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:01 am

Why do so many people copy from somewhere else and paste it into the forum?
->>Conversions to sale at over 50%??? Yes, and here's why
StartBusinessMentor

Postby ladybug on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:44 am

I don't mind copying from somewhere else. I do it quite often myself, BUT give the credit to the person who wrote it. Don't just make it look like it was all your idea.
ladybug

Postby danasurvey on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 pm

ladybug wrote:give the credit to the person who wrote it. Don't just make it look like it was all your idea.

I absolutely agree!
danasurvey

Postby PeterMFL on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:56 am

I'd also like to add to the list that having a daily routine is essential for success.
Whether you are doing your Business Full-Time or Part-Time without a daily routine who you will not succeed in my opinion. And if you do your success will take a very long time.
http://www.BestofNetworkMarketing.net -- The Best Network Marketing Training for Free!
-
http://www.ViralThrills.com -- Sharing the Hottest Media Online!
PeterMFL

Postby marclewis on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:35 am

Benefits of doing work from home:

• Environmentally friendly
• More time with family
• Less stressful environment
• Quieter atmosphere
• Eliminate long commute
• Less distractions
• More productive
• Avoid traffic
• Save gas
• Work/home balance
• No Community costs
• Savings in travel time
• Flexibility
• Less stress and distractions
• Proximity to home & family
• Improved health & fitness
• No work wear
marclewis

Postby boysingh on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:04 pm

mikidookie wrote:2) Designate work space
Keep aside a work area free of personal stuff. A desk, chair, computer, adequate lighting and clear, uncluttered space build the right environment for you to work efficiently. Organise your immediate visual area so that you are not staring out of an open window or worrying about the mess on the floor. Ideally, work in a room with a closed door so that the home environment does not creep in and diminish your productivity.

This was my top priority when I decided to work from home, since we have an extra space in our backyard, what we did was to contact a builder and decided to create a granny flat as a home office. And for you to enjoyworking from home, you and your employer must also agree with some additional benefits like, employer-sponsored health initiatives, check other details here: http://clarenceprofessionalgroup.com.au ... workplace/
boysingh

Postby Tel on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:19 am

Good to see there's still inspiration in here for peeps working at home after all these years.

What's helped me along my journey is setting an achievable goal and then working toward achieving it no matter what. Once achieved, I set a bigger goal and go after that. And again. And again.

As for all the corporate "follow the rules" stuff... nope. Not for me.

My workspace is a desk in the corner of a spare room with my computer equipment on, but the door is always open and my family can come and go. I hate work clothes, so work in sweat pants and a tee shirt. I take frequent breaks and go for long walks with my dog a few times each day.

My phone is generally turned off and I don't stay logged into my email client, skype or facebook or any of the other idiot distractions that derail a lot of people. So my time is focused on doing what I decided I would do and when its done, I get up and walk away for a while.

It helps enormously to have no boss or supervisor or anyone that can (or thinks they can) tell me what to do and when to do it. I work much better knowing that what I do is my decision and my choice, not someone else's!

You know, I haven't posted in this forum for a long time. Back in early 2007 when I was just a noob and not making any money at this, I was busy learning from those that did. It wasn't long before I was earning money too and growing my home business based mostly on building websites, ranking them and selling affiliate stuff.

I hear a lot of people say its hard to do that now, but really it's no harder than it was back in 2007 when you know what you're doing. I've been making a very good income from it for many years but I still keep listening to other people who are also making good money and I keep learning new stuff all the time.

That's the secret to succeeding - never sit back on your laurels. Keep learning and using the newest tactics and strategies because the game changes all the time and to stay successful, you got to keep changing with the business.

You can sit in your nice home office in your business suit and prioritize and strategize all you want, but if you want the money, you have to stay on top of the business by knowing what works now. Because what worked yesterday might not be what is working today!
Tel

Return to Work at Home Advice, Tips and Support