18 Year Old - need job

Discuss any opportunities that do not fit one of our other categories. Get tips, advice, and support on succeeding in a specific business.

18 Year Old - need job

Postby SunItzu on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Avertisements

hello, I'm fresh out of high school.

I need a job for home, and a good paying one.

preferably $10-$25 a hour

thanks.
SunItzu

Advertisements

Re: 18 Year Old - need job

Postby summerwilkins on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:37 am

You'll work full-time or freelance? Try posting this thread on job leads and employer discussion. They are offering some jobs in there.
summerwilkins

Postby yaheem on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:06 am

If you mean a job that pays that much and let's you work like 40 hours a week ... it doesn't exist.

If you have nothing to stop you from going out then go out and find a real job. This is the time you start building your career so don't waste it chasing dreams. These jobs are for those who have disabilities or for staying at home moms who don't like to take risk in building a business. And I am sure they wish they could have a real job instead due to instability of income.

This is my advice, and you're free to take it or not.
yaheem

Postby ladybug on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 am

yaheem wrote:If you mean a job that pays that much and let's you work like 40 hours a week ... it doesn't exist.

I do it. In fact I work less than 40 hours a week and make upwards of $50 to $60 an hour. You have to look at what you want to do, what you're qualified to do, and what's available and go from there.
ladybug

Postby yaheem on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm

I am talking about a "job", not a business as you and I do ... that was the question.
yaheem

Postby ladybug on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:11 pm

I have a job. I do transcription for the AB Provincial Courts. Yes, I'm considered self-employed, but it's still a job as opposed to MLM or any online business. I'm not a registered company or anything. I'm just a typist who happens to work from home. I could do it 9-5 if I chose to. I just choose not to.
ladybug

Postby yaheem on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:38 pm

That's wonderful Ladybug. I am sure SunItzu is so excited and can't wait to know how to get a job like yours.

But still, at 18 I wouldn't go for a home job, maybe as a side project but definitely wouldn't settle for one. There is a whole world out of home and unless you just had enough of that out side world like myself and at my age. He would be killing his chances of building a real rewarding career, meeting people and learning from life.

This is what I would have said to my son if he were still alive; choose after you have experienced them all.
yaheem

Postby ladybug on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:50 pm

That's wonderful Ladybug. I am sure SunItzu is so excited and can't wait to know how to get a job like yours.

Who peed in your Cornflakes? You can lose that attitude. I'm trying to help. What are YOU doing? Nothing but trying to discourage them. The fact is there ARE jobs out there. You just have to know how to find them.

You said:

If you mean a job that pays that much and let's you work like 40 hours a week ... it doesn't exist.

Well, I was merely showing that they do exist.

I'm sorry about your son, but that doesn't give you the right to hold others back. I agree that you gain a certain amount of life experience from working outside the home, but that's not the way it is now. You need to move forward. I got some very good experience working in different offices. I also got screwed over, disillusioned, and ended up having a heart attack. I'm not a social person. I like being in control and I like having a job and being able to do it without someone hanging all over me and I like working alone. Some people are just like that. They'll get their experience somehow, it will just be different.

This person says they need a work at home job. It's none of my business why, I'm just trying to help.
ladybug

Postby jayK on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:49 pm

ladybug wrote:The fact is there ARE jobs out there. You just have to know how to find them.

I fully agree. When I started researching this, I was really surprised to see that the jobs such as Pharmacist, Nurse etc which are otherwise not considered as "work at home" jobs are now available for people who prefer to work from home.

Contrary to the popular myth there are real, legitimate work at home jobs offered by real companies and they are not always Data Entry and call center. For example Humana has 9 Personal Nurse (work at home) jobs advertised. There are Reservation Agent and Travel Counselor jobs. Humana also has several work at home Pharmacist positions.
Real Legitimate work at home jobs updated real-time
http://workathomejobsblog.net
jayK

Postby yaheem on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:33 am

Com on guys, he's just 18 with a high school, the best he can get from home is a call center!

Be realistic in what you preach, the young man is about to start his life. To get to a high paying job as some of you pointed out he needs to stay in school to be a pharmacist or a nurse.

The bad experience you get from working with other people is part of the experience you will never learn otherwise. It's better than living in a shell and imagining that everything out there is wonderful. What kind of wisdom are you going to pass to your kids?

Finally ladybug, I wasn't sarcastic in my post, this is not how I am and I only say or write what I mean. Your comment up there wasn't so nice.

Sorry about your heart attack by the way, hope you're doing well now.
yaheem

Postby ladybug on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:32 am

Com on guys, he's just 18 with a high school, the best he can get from home is a call center!

Really? Because I went from high school directly into a government job at $400 a month which at that time was considered a very good salary. When that contract ended a year later I went to an oil company which was even better. As the work environment changed and computers came in I received job-specific training, was even sent to Tulsa for two weeks to work with people there, and was earning almost $30,000 a year when I left in 1985. In fact that original system formed the basis of what we have today so I guess I'm sort of a pioneer in a sense. I was the guinea pig that tested it all.

You need to take off the blinders and see things for what they are. I had trouble for a long thinking that the best chance for life experience was working in an office, but it's just changed now. We need to roll with the times.

I don't even have math beyond grade 10 because I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Numbers aren't my friend ( :lol: ). I'm better now. Even that never held me back except I had to downgrade from wanting to be an RN to an LPN but even that worked out to my advantage. (Anyone want to borrow my horseshoes? Just polish and insert :lol: )

A lot of my education didn't come until I was into my 30's. i HATED school, couldn't wait to get out, and had nightmares for months after that they made a mistake and I had to go back. Ten years later I couldn't learn enough. I say give the kid a break. He's 18. A few months of puttering around won't hurt him and may even help him in the long run. Sometimes what you think you want isn't really what you want. He may find something computer related that he wants to know more about and will go back to school.

You don't say where you live, Yaheem, and maybe that makes a difference?
ladybug

Postby yaheem on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 am

I am your neighbor ladybug.

A high school diploma these days can not get him any where with all the bachelors and even postgrads who are unemployed and applying for anything and everything.

You know, if he asked the same question differently I wouldn't have to be that harsh in my answer. Starting off the bat with a job from home at $25 per hour is not realistic. To get a job like the one you currently have (which I bet would be very competitive and selective) he needs to climb the ladder from where he is right now; at the bottom.

I felt he needed a wake up shock. So in his reality this job doesn't exist. You have the experience and the qualifications to get a nice paying job ... so you can't compare him to yourself, not now at least.

If you think he has a chance in getting a job transcribing for courts or hospitals it would be nice of you to show him where to start. I personally would have asked you the same 3 years ago. As you said, maybe after a while he will realize that it's not what he wanted, but hopefully before it's too late for him.

And here is the question that will get you to see things the way I see them. If everyone found a home job, who will build, farm, fish, drive, mine, fight for us, teach our kids, treat our patients, and protect us? At his age he has the capacity and power to learn do all of that, I don't.

I am working from home because of health issues, it's my way to stay positive. But if it was up to me I would have stayed where I was, although I am making more money now with less effort. And that's because I was more productive and useful to my community and probably to the whole humanity as an academic researcher and educator than I am now as a marketer.
yaheem

Postby ladybug on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:36 am

You know, if he asked the same question differently I wouldn't have to be that harsh in my answer. Starting off the bat with a job from home at $25 per hour is not realistic.

I'm with you on that one, but that's the way kids are nowadays. They want it all and they want it now. Unfortunately even those with college educations are finding that they aren't worth anything. Many of them end up doing something outside of their fancy degrees and being quite happy. Like I said, 18 is still young. They need to make a few mistakes and learn from them.
ladybug

Postby bslighdistributors on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:21 pm

SunItzu wrote:hello, I'm fresh out of high school.

I need a job for home, and a good paying one.

preferably $10-$25 a hour

thanks.

Fresh out of high school and to find a $10-$25 a hour job for home? Well I hate to burst your bubble, but unless you have some good connects somewhere this is not going to happen. You cannot just apply for a job online that will give you that much money especially fresh out of high school. You need qualifications in order to be able to make that much. If you do find one though, congrats to you.
Check out my own personal business: Amway Products
Find out how to become a member of my business: Success with Amway
bslighdistributors

Postby kspolavori on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi there, do you have any skills?

Have you tried Elancer or Freelancer?

Good luck!!!
A Healthy Piece of Mind

www.goodhealth.xpressabo.com/xhc1
kspolavori

Return to Work at Home Opportunities